Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Exorcism of Emily Rose | Haunting Experience | The Critique

Some TV channel was showing this film while CSK was losing IPL finale to MI. Reluctantly, I decided to watch it because of the courtroom drama component rather than the horror thing. Well, by the morning, I forgot that I saw a courtroom drama. Horror was written all over my face. Literally.

Movie is about a Priest who conducts exorcism on a teenage girl Emily. She dies post failed attempt of the Roman ritual. Though it was done with consent, State charges Priest with Homicide due to negligence. Priest is provided with a lawyer who has a daunting task at her disposal – to prove occult practices in front of Jury. While she struggles to collect evidences, Priest insists on standing in court and testify. He wants to tell Emily’s story. The girl who fought six demons and was a martyr.

I slept at 1:30 AM. Nothing unusual for me. Sharp 3:00 AM, my sleep was interrupted by strange sounds. Electric fan was screeching. Water bottle on fell down from the table and water spilled on the floor. There were dogs barking outside my flat. I woke up, shaking and drenched in sweat. Yes, I was frightened to death and this is something pretty unusual as I hardly get scared of darkness or loneliness. Fan screeches every night and dogs bark when they see the security guard parading. Was there something going on? No. But the movie had a brilliant effect on me. Frankly, scared but enjoyed every bit of it.

Any movie which can have such an effect has to be good. I have never experienced this since Omen. Rest, watch and decide this well scripted and well portrayed film. For portrayal of Emily, Jennifer Carpenter deserves a standing ovation.

Written By: Sujoy Ghosh      

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU, POST COMMENTS TO TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS ARTICLE,

Finding it difficult to post comments ??
type your comment in white box below and under "Comment as" Drop down list, either:

1. select "Anonymous"
OR
2. If you are logged into Google account, select your Google account from the drop-down list