Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hollywood In Bollywood | Candid Krishnan

I wanted to watch much hyped Hiss and asked my girl out. She first stared at me. She was thinking that I was more interested in Mallika than in SFX. Obviously, she was right. Girls are always right. So, I didn’t argue. As I surrendered, she agreed to accompany me. Strange…

But I was really interested in Hollywood movie set in India. I thought that it would be atleast interesting to watch HWood understanding of India. Not to mention, I was grossly disappointed.



I always felt that if Slumdog Millionaire can win so many Oscars; Indian movies definitely deserve better treatment at the International Level. How can they overload such a weak, stereotyped and heavily inspired (read the forbidden synonym for copy) movie with a plethora of appreciation. What was it…? Definitely not in the coveted league of other Academy Award winners.

Hollywood definitely doesn’t understand India. We still are land of snake-charmers. We have a large number of call-centers in each and every part of this country where anyone can sit and reply to dumb blonde questions. Breaking News… India is far more than that. On a serious note; HWood doesn’t want to break the traditional image of Indians. Poor and sorrowful. They will show NASA but minus Indians. A real NASA guy would laugh at that. For most of HWoodians Indians are like Slumdog-turned-Millionaires but the truth is that their interpretation of this journey from Slumdog to Millionaire is not as simple as appearing in Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I think Danny Boyle should watch movies like Udaan to understand India.

And Hiss… that’s a sham. F it off.

Written By: Candy Krishnan

1 comment:

Damien Anlem said...

quite a post. but hollywood bashing is not going to do any good to bollywood. SDM was a silly movie but had barely any contest at Oscars

Post a Comment

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU, POST COMMENTS TO TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS ARTICLE,

Finding it difficult to post comments ??
type your comment in white box below and under "Comment as" Drop down list, either:

1. select "Anonymous"
OR
2. If you are logged into Google account, select your Google account from the drop-down list