Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Annie In Love, Wrinkle Free | Shernaz Patel | Golden Podium


Shernaz Patel… If someone follows theatre, she needs no introduction. She is one of the most popular faces of Indian English Theatre. For everyone else, she played the role of Rani’s mother in Black. We got an opportunity to talk to her exclusively about her upcoming Indie movie Love, Wrinkle-free.

Q: Hi Shernaz, many congrats for your movie Love, Wrinkle-free. After seeing you in Black, Family, I Am and Rockstar... Love, Wrinkle-free will be a treat where we will see more of you. Tell us about your role in the movie?

SP: I play Annie Monteiro, a God-fearing Goan, married to Savio, an underwear salesman, with an adopted daughter, Ruth. I run a small shack, called Annie’s. While coming to terms with getting older, I suddenly get pregnant. Things go awry when Savio wants to start an edible underwear business, and my one dream, to sing in the church choir, gets more and more distant as the church wants younger singers. 

Q: My Mom was pleasantly surprised to see you in Black. If I am not wrong, you returned to Silver Screen after some 18-19 years. I am counting Mahesh Bhatt's Janam as your first. What was your reaction when you got the offer to work in Black?

SP: I auditioned for Black, never dreaming I’d get the role, so it was really hugely exciting to get cast and then work with such a talented team. It was a huge personal achievement and an experience that’s one of the highlights of my life.

Q: And what was your reaction when Love, Wrinkle-free was offered?

SP: I was thrilled! Annie is such a joyous character to play. And I don’t get cast often in this genre, which made it even more thrilling.  Not just the role, but its so fulfilling to work in independent cinema and to work with young and passionate directors like Sandeep.

Q: As an actress, which is the most challenging role you played? And why?

SP: My most challenging roles have all been in the theatre and among those, Love Letters is my favourite. It’s a play where I go from the age of 8 to the age of 60 with no make up changes, no costume changes. I have been performing this part for 20 years and I learn something new every show.

Q: As an actress, what do you look for in a script? What is that element which brings sparkle in your eyes?

SP: The role. I always yearn for roles where I can sink my teeth into the character, where I can push my boundaries and get challenged…its not the size of the part, but what I can bring to it that matters. Beyond that it’s the full package…the script, the director, the co-actors…its all important finally.

Q: Anything you would like to say to our readers and your fans...

SP: Please go and watch Love Wrinkle Free. It’s a small film with a big heart. It’s a fun evening out. And you will see me in a totally different avatar…we need you to support independent cinema so please go and watch it!

Its always a pleasure to talk to someone like her. TRM wishes Shernaz best of everything for her forthcoming ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU, POST COMMENTS TO TELL US WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THIS ARTICLE,

Finding it difficult to post comments ??
type your comment in white box below and under "Comment as" Drop down list, either:

1. select "Anonymous"
OR
2. If you are logged into Google account, select your Google account from the drop-down list